Front hub tightening (disc brakes)
The correct way to tighten the front hub nut on disc brake cars is as follows:
- Fit a suitable thick flat washer under the hub nut instead of the taper one. Something of this size is required.
- Now tighten the nut to the specified torque. This ensures that the bearings and drive flange have seated properly.
- Remove the nut and flat washer.
- Now fit the taper washer and re-tighten the nut.
- Tighten the nut further to be able to fit a split pin.
- HINT: Before jacking the car up, get someone to sit in the car with the foot brake applied. Remove any hub cap and loosen the hub nut. Reverse this process for tightening.